In collaboration with Tumalo Creek Kayak & Canoe
We are excited to offer a kayaking program in partnership with Tumalo Creek Kayak & Canoe.
The whitewater based program provides a hands on way to learn about being on the water while learning boater safety skills and basic paddle strokes for efficient kayaking.
A typical paddling outing may include revisiting paddle strokes and techniques from our previous session followed by the introduction of new skills and techniques. We’ll spend as much time as possible on the water getting comfortable with our new skills before heading out for a group paddle.
- No previous experience needed
- Equipment provided
- Learn proper boating safety
- Learn efficient paddle strokes
- Skills based progression
The program will cover many boating and river components:
- Introduction to the various types of kayaks and gear, including paddles, sprayskirts, PFDs, and helmets
- Wet exits: students learn how to safely exit the boat into the water
- Games and drills to develop skills: playing games in the boats develops skills while emphasizing that kayaking is all about fun!
- Learning different types of paddle strokes (forward & backward strokes, forward & backward sweep strokes & correction strokes)
- Learn how to hold a line while traveling downstream and upstream
- Edge control: learning how to balance your boat on edge and brace to keep from flipping over or to pivot
- Learn how to read the many parts of a river’s flow to see how features are formed and change
- River features include hazards, eddies, hydraulics, rocks, etc.
- Learn standard boating maneuvers like ferrying and eddie turns
Participants will be picked up at area schools for transportation to Tumalo Creek Kayak & Canoe in the Old Mill.
All of our drivers are trained and accustomed to driving in all conditions with child passengers. Everyone must wear a seatbelt and follow Oregon Law. Transportation is included in the price of the program.
What to bring:
- Swim wear, long sleeve “wicking” top, dry clothing, towel, water or immersion gear (if you have it).
How to enroll:
- Go to the Enrollment Form
- Payment is accepted through PayPal for credit cards or you may bring cash or check with you to the first day of practice, or mail your check to Bend Endurance Academy before your program starts.
All participants must have the Academy Waiver and Tumalo Creek Kayak & Canoe Waiver: