Competition MTB Team Includes
- Enduro Team
- Cross-Country (XC) Team
- Some Gravel & Road Options
- Indoor Training at Bowen Sports Performance and Academy
The Comp Team is our highest level of programming from February through August. We’ll always have fun no matter what we have planned for the ride!
Details and pricing is the same for XC and Enduro. We encourage riders to cross-over between these disciplines and try Road and Gravel riding as well.
New for 2018:
- Added another day per week: Academy Indoor Strength / Conditioning / Recovery Day
- Extended Wednesdays Spring after-school practice time by 1-hour
- Spring Tuesdays in April, May and June will be a combined shuttle for Devo & Comp Teams
- We have a bike-workshop at our Office for Clinics and Open Bench time available to Comp Team Riders to work on their equipment and learn from local experts
- Comp Team Tuition includes an Enduro or XC jersey and a t-shirt!
- Comp Team ends right after OBRA State Champ MTB race at the end of July; MegaRides continue through August and Cyclocross begins with a Camp.
“The Comp Team creates leaders,” says Cycling Director, Bill Warburton, who will be head-coach for the Comp Teams this summer. “I have goals for the team, the team sets expectations for the riders, and the riders have goals that we will all be working toward– together. While we work on bike-handling skills, there is so much more that our riders can get from this team, and as they come back year after year we see them become confident riders, smart racers, strong leaders and amazing young adults.”
The Comp Team will generally train and meet together. Riding and Training Groups are formed based on age, ability and selected discipline.
Training begins in February with indoor riding and strength at Bowen Sports Performance and the Academy.
- Ages 13 – 18
- Riders must have intermediate to advanced skills with good fitness
1. Spring & Summer Enduro MTB Team
The Enduro Team will race locally and has a goal to travel to at least one large regional event together as a team. Our number one priority for training and racing is always safety: riders must be prepared mentally, physically and with proper knowledge and usage of their equipment, therefore the program is designed to evaluate the rider’s ability, introduce new skills or information, evaluate the result, and repeat.
This is not a Downhill program– riders must be prepared to pedal our bikes uphill and downhill and we’ll get stronger and smarter by doing it together. Our trails are what they are but we have some special training zones where we can work on advanced skills. Our MegaRides and traveling to races also allow us to ride different trails for different experiences.
- Pads and extra safety equipment strongly recommended
- Full suspension bike required for Enduro
- Cross-over to XC / Road / Gravel is encouraged — loaner bikes might be available
- Check out our Alpenrose-Lumberyard-Sandy-Ridge Trip coming up at the end of June
2. Spring & Summer XC MTB Team
The Cross-Country Team is designed around the Oregon Off-Road MTB Race Series. From March through July, we will structure the season so those who are racing will perform well at those events. Riders can still do the Comp Team and not race, but we recommend everyone tries a race and either participates in or helps out with the local events.
Whether you race or not, we have a great time building skills, fitness and camaraderie over the course of the season.
- Hardtails or short-travel full suspension bikes are perfect for these rides
- Cross-over to Enduro / Road / Gravel is encouraged — loaner bikes might be available
3. Fall Enduro Skills-Focused-Extension
Talk to Bill if you want to ride Enduro this fall. We’re looking at a Tuesday after school with Coach John Frey for 4 or 5 weeks in September into October. Focus will be higher-elevation trails, sessioning parts of trails and progressing your skills for every aspect of trail-riding.
Email Bill@bendenduranceacademy.org if you want to join in.
Comp Team Levels
- Full Time means a rider comes every day we offer a practice, between 3 – 6 rides per week. We work hard, take rests and go through the season every step of the way together.
- Part Time means riders come 2-3 days per week. Recommended for younger or less experienced riders.
- One-Day means riders attend 1-day per week plus a few other fun things. In most cases this is a special case so please talk to Coach Bill about moving up to Part Time.
- MegaRides, Trips and Camps are paid separately and each has its own criteria for participation.
- Tuition assistance and scholarships are available, talk to Coach Bill to learn more.
Winter Practices: “Until Sea Otter”
- Tuesdays, February 20 – April 10
- Full Time Riders Only
- Indoor Riding at Bowen Sport Performance
- 3:15 – 5:00 PM
- Build form & fitness
- Watch bike videos to learn tactics, tricks & study our sport
- Fridays, February 23 – April 13
- 3:15 – 5:15 PM
- Part Time Riders at Bowen Sports Performance for an Indoor Ride
- Full Time Riders at the Academy for Indoor Strength / Conditioning / Recovery
- Might be a hard workout, or stretching / yoga / Rock Climbing or a Team Meeting or an Open Bench time to work on your bike.
Wednesdays & Thursdays, March 14 – June 14:
- After the time change we add W & TH
- Wednesdays, 2:15 – 6:15 PM from the Athletic Club of Bend
- Thursdays 3:15 – 6:15 PM from the Athletic Club of Bend
- Many weekends will have an optional race or group ride, you’ll stay up to date from the Calendar and the weekly team emails
- Some workouts may be prescribed to the groups to do “on your own”
Summer Practices in the Mornings
- June 25 – July 29
- Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays
- 9:30am – 12:30pm
- Pacific Crest Middle School
- Fridays will be MegaRides or Indoor Training at Academy
- Month of August: Regular Comp Practice will end and riders should do some of our MegaRides, or rest up, or ride for fun, or help with the Youth Program…. There is also our Cyclocross Camp and we begin the transition to the fall Enduro / Cyclocross season.
MEGA-RIDES Not included in tuition for the program, but they’re amazing opportunities to have longer practices and do rad rides.
- Spring & Summer Full Time Team $1,600
- Spring & Summer Part Time Team $1,000
- Spring & Summer One-Day $720
- Fall Enduro – $165
- Cyclocross Team INFO BELOW
- Trips, Camps, MegaRides and Travel to races are not included in Tuition
3. Performance Add-On with Bowen Sports Performance
For the most experienced Comp Riders whose goals require further attention from the coaches, we are working with Bart Bowen to offer additional support. This is individualized, power-based training so talk to Bill if you’re interested.
- Ages 14 – 18
- For Enduro / XC / Road / Cyclocross
- For older, more experienced riders prepared to compete at the National level
- Must have several years of riding experience and Coaches must agree you can handle extra load