Chainbreaker Cross-Country XC MTB Race
All abilities welcome from beginners to professionals, juniors to masters!
While the Two Bulls fire impacted the area in 2014, the conditions are improving every year and more damaged trails are being restored every spring. The course is 100% on private land with rolling terrain, lava outcrops, open views of the Cascades and flowing singletrack. Two course distances make for appropriate challenges.
While on course, Riders take several loops through the stadium area to make spectating and cheering fun for families. Spectators can hike along the trails to watch, and everyone can enjoy food, drinks, free beer from Deschutes and awards on site.
Proudly part of the Oregon Off Road Series and Oregon Junior Mountain Bike Series!
Hosted by the Bend Endurance Academy, this is a major fundraiser for our junior development programs and an important way for us to contribute to the mountain biking community!
- Oregon Off Road Series
- Peter Werner, Attorney at Law
- Adventure Medics
- We’re The Würst Food Truck
- RISE Brewing Co. Cold Brew Coffee
- Natural Grocers for race & snack food
- This is an OBRA event
Thank you to the landowners:
- Todd Taylor
- Summ Up LLC
- Tumalo Irrigation District
- Shanda Assets, managers of the Skyline Forest
Private Land & Notes
- This is private property and the Bull Springs RD is closed to bicycles during weekdays until 6pm due to heavy truck traffic, but the trails beyond are available to ride.
- The USFS Winter Range Closure means vehicle access is restricted from December through March on RD4606 and beyond — the gate is closed just south of Couch RD for motorized vehicles.
- No Camping on the Private Land. Dispersed camping is allowed on USFS land nearby.
- Signs will be posted on race day from Shevlin Park RD to help you.
- From Bend, continue west on Newport Avenue as it becomes Shevlin Park RD
- 0.4 miles past Shevlin Park, at the crest of the hill, turn LEFT onto Bull Springs RD. This section of private road is closed to bicycle traffic weekdays until 6PM due to heavy truck traffic. Cyclists can access through Shevlin Park up Mrazek trail (or from Skyliner RD) and head north on RD4606.
- After 0.6 miles on pavement, turn RIGHT onto RD4606 (gravel road), it is a 4-way intersection with the gated Taylor NW property straight ahead. Do not go through their yellow sliding gate.
- Continue 2.1 miles to Couch RD (dirt road), you will go through a USFS Winter Closure Gate (open after April 1) to the next left turn. Spray paint on tree says “CP2”, turn LEFT. Both sides of the road are fenced.
- Stadium area is 0.5 miles up CP2, on the LEFT.
- View Start Line on Google Maps
- Caution — some navigation apps may send you a very long, strange route to get there. Use these directions as listed above.
VOLUNTEER SIGN UP
- Check out the VOLUNTEER SIGN UP SHEET or
- Contact Ann@bendenduranceacademy.org to sign up!