We have just wrapped up the first five weeks of our summer cycling programs.
Youth and Devo riders have explored trails from right in town all the way through the Phil’s network, over at Wanoga and even up to Dutchman Flat across the high country to Happy Valley. On the 100-degree days we jumped in the river. On the rainy days we celebrated the fantastic dirt. Riders learned some new skills, practiced their fundamentals and bonded with each other and their coaches along the way.
Meet the coaches:
- Bill Warburton, Cycling Director — he moves between the various groups to support the coaches and to meet as many of kids as possible. He notes that “This year, all of the groups are riding faster than ever before so they’re finishing longer rides and getting into some really fun areas of the woods.”
- Chad Cheeney, Competition Team Coach — Chad is currently on a week-long trip to Mammoth Lakes, CA with nine riders competing at XC MTB Nationals.
- Alex McGuiness — one of the fastest Enduro racers in the country, Alex was recently sitting in 5th at the end of the first day of the Keystone Big Mountain Enduro but suffered a flat tire on the second day that moved him to the end of the results list. His energy and riding style are great examples for the kids to see how much fun riding mountain bikes can be.
- Amy Hale — recently moved to Bend from Colorado and began working with our Girls Team. She’s been riding with the teenage girls, helping them find what works for their skills development.
- Brenna Warburton — has been coaching our youth programs from the beginning, she’s there every T & TH to ride with the youngest Mini Bikers.
- Brennan Wodtli — has his own Devo Groups on Wednesdays and Fridays that helps teenagers work on some more advanced skills combined with some longer rides.
- Cameron Carrick — a former BEA athlete, Cameron is pursuing his collegiate studies abroad in through adventure / mentorship programs. We’re very happy to have him here encouraging the Youth and Devo riders from his perspective as an alum.
- Emma Maarinen — is a Pro mountain biker who recently moved to Bend from Utah, working with Youth and Devo when she’s not on the race circuit.
- Jackson Rich — is from Massachusetts but has trained with BEA as a Nordic skier in the past. Now living in Bend, he’s helping with our Youth program almost every day, bringing the perspective of a dedicated endurance athlete to their fun rides.
- Javier Colton — graduated from our cycling program last year and is back from Boise State for the summer to teach the Youth and Devo how to have more fun and create their own creative riding style on bikes.
- Lauren Hamlin — works every day with the Youth and helps with our spring and fall after school programs as well. Her Girls Groups have been a huge hit this summer.
- Lauren Williams — comes every Thursday to share her passion for mountain biking with the Youth.
- Rex Shepard — grew up in Bend and is at home in the mountains on a bike or skis. His Enduro racing skill and knowledge of the sport is a great asset for his coaching of the Youth and Devo riders.
- Steve Delery — is our Bus Driver. Best known as the founder of Ohana Salsa, Steve is retired, enjoys time with his grandkids, hunting, fishing and driving our Bus.
- Mark Campbell — you might recognize him from Pine Mountain Sports, Mark works with our Youth program on his days off from his job there and brings lots of energy to the Mighty Bikes program.
- Matt Fox — a teacher at Mountain View, Matt coaches with our Youth, Devo and Cyclocross programs throughout the season.
- Melanie Nelson — has worked with our Mini Bikers from the beginning. She has a real passion for mountain biking and working with our youngest riders.
- JP Avery — is pursuing an outdoor leadership degree so he’s spending his days off from wilderness trips here with the Youth program.
- Neal Lawrence — a new resident of Bend, he has many years of bike racing experience. He’s helping mostly with Youth but rides with Devo on Thursdays.