Dear Academy Families,
We have lost a special member of the Bend community and the BEA Family. We are sorry to report that David Kurtz, Nordic skier, Coach, and friend, has passed away. Kurtz had a such a positive impact on countless athletes and coaches at the Academy; he was with us from the very beginning and he will be remembered as someone who created amazing connections with kids, who encouraged them to try hard and give their best. He is missed.
Any loss, especially an unexpected one, can affect children in different ways. If your child knew Kurtz, we encourage you to speak about what he or she may have learned from him and the type of qualities he had that others admired.
We also have resources to help you discuss difficult subjects with your child and to cope with loss. If you would like to be connected with those resources or if we can help in any way, please feel free to contact me directly at Sandy@bendenduranceacademy.org or call our office at 541.904.5048.
David’s family is planning a memorial on January 20th and they have extended an invitation to all of us at the Academy.
On behalf of all the entire Coaching and Admin staff, we thank Kurtz for all of his dedication and support to our athletes over the years.
Bend Endurance Academy
- Rosary for David will be at St. Joseph Catholic Church, 120 S. Main, Prineville, at 7 PM Friday, Jan. 19.
- Funeral Mass will be at Historic St. Francis Church, 494 NW Lava Rd, Downtown Bend, at 10 AM, Saturday, Jan. 20.
- Reception and Celebration will be at the Bend Church First United Methodist Church, 680 NW Bond St, Bend, at Noon, Jan 20.
You may view David’s obituary and sign the guest book at BairdFH.com.
David Kurtz Memorial Scholarship Fund
- His family have established a scholarship fund through the Bend Endurance Academy that will support Nordic athletes who need financial assistance. More details on how to donate to the fund and how to apply to receive funds will be available soon.
- Contact Sandy Visnack to learn more: Sandy@bendenduranceacademy.org